The purpose of the ISS Graduate Certificate is to offer an interdisciplinary program at the graduate level that focuses on the study and creation of new information technologies and the analysis of their impact on art, culture, science, medicine, commerce, society, policy, and the environment. The program is designed for masters's and doctoral students wishing to complement their primary disciplinary focus with an interdisciplinary certificate in Information Science + Studies. The Graduate Certificate is not intended to provide a disciplinary canon in information science and studies but rather to develop a structured set of transdisciplinary skills and resources for exploring new areas of academic research and teaching. It combines required "skills" and "theory" elements and relevant electives, as well as explicit expectations for engagement with the broader ISS community.
Graduate Certificate Requirements:
- Complete the ISS introductory graduate proseminar, ISS 580S: Historical and Cultural Visualization, ISS 760S: Critical Digital Humanities, CMAC 650S: Critical Studies in Computational Media, Arts & Cultures, or an equivalent courses, on approval.
- Demonstration of proficiency through a graduate-level technology practice course or other evidence of competency as approved by the director of graduate studies. Examples may include ISS practice-based courses, participation in lab, projects, or related work.
- Three graduate courses from the ISS course listings (from at least two different departments).
- One formal research presentation coordinated through the ISS director of graduate studies and documented via online website and presentation archive. This may also be documented through participation in a lab presentation, conference, workshop, or other public setting.
- Participation in at least four research forum events or related activities to be tracked by the ISS director of graduate studies and program coordinator. This may include participation in a lab, seminar, workshop, or related activity.
ISS Graduate Certificate Admission:
The ISS Graduate Director will advise all certificate students. To enroll in the ISS Graduate Certificate Program, students should complete and submit the Graduate School Certificate Program Application Form to the ISS Program Office and consult with an ISS Faculty director to plan their programs.